Monday 27 July 2015

Pineapple Coconut icebox pie|Guest post

In last eight months of blogging ,I have assembled a treasure.
A treasure of recipes and friends!!!
And out of this treasure ,I introduce you to a very special friend who is also a co blogger:Amy Gramlich.

Its a lifestyle blog:all about food,parenthood,fashion,bilingual parenting.
Amazing isnt it!!!
So go ahead ,check out her lovely blog.Even better will be to follow so that you can keep checking all lovely notifications.

Here on my blog,She has provided a lovely recipe of Pineapple Coconut icebox pie.Yummmy!!!Droolworthy!
And this is a FRIENDSHIP DAY GIFT for upcoming friendship day!Am I thankful?Well I am surely thankful but then I deserve this yummy pie as I am a lucky girl to have a friend like Amy.

Check out her recipe and her blog!!!

Title: Pineapple-Coconut Icebox Pie

I’m so excited to feature my pineapple-coconut icebox pie with graham cracker-coconut crust here this week on Veggie Bus on Simple Route! I wanted to make sure that the recipe I prepared would be appealing to readers from both the United States and India since Shivani likely has readers from both of these areas. I was happy to research and learn that pineapples are produced and consumed in India, which led to my decision to make this pineapple-coconut icebox pie. This guest blogging opportunity fits right in with my interest in interacting with and learning from other cultures.

Here in the southern part of the United States, tropical pies seem to entice me from everywhere I look during these hot summer months.  The variety of flavored tropical pies is surely one of the best things about summer. When making this pie, I went with what I had in my pantry to create my pie filling and crust combination.

For the Coconut Crust for Pineapple-Coconut Icebox Pie

(Adapted from Icebox Pies by Lauren Chattman )
1 1/3 cups graham crackers crumbs (or 11 full graham crackers, processed into crumbs)
5-6 tbsp butter
1 tsp coconut extract
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup coconut, not toasted

For the Filling for Pineapple-Coconut Icebox Pie

3/4 tub cool whip
1 1/2 blocks cream cheese, softened
10 oz crushed pineapple, drained (1/2 of a 20 oz can)
1/2 cup cream of coconut
3/4 cup coconut, toasted
I started by making the pie crust. In a medium sized mixing bowl, I mixed the graham cracker crumbs, the untoasted coconut and the salt. Next, I poured the extract into the melted butter and poured all of it into the graham cracker crumb mix. I mixed until the crumbs were well-blended. I patted the crumbs into a nine-inch pie pan, making sure to go up the sides of the pan, until the crust was even. The pie crust went into the oven for about 7 minutes at 350 degrees.
If you do not want to bake your own pie crust, you can easily use a store-bought pie crust or make a graham cracker crust that doesn’t require baking.

After I pulled the crust from the oven, I toasted my coconut in the oven. I spread ¾ cup of coconut on a baking sheet and baked for about 7 minutes until it was mostly browned. Toasting the coconut is not necessary but it does allow for a richer coconut flavor.

While the coconut was roasting, I prepared the pineapple coconut icebox pie filling. In the bowl of my mixer, I blended the cream cheese with the cream of coconut. Next, I added in the Cool Whip and mixed for about one minute. Afterward, I poured in the pineapple and continued mixing for about 30 seconds longer.

I poured the entire concoction into one cooled pie shell. This made for a tall pie. I could have possibly stretched the mixture into two smaller pies, if desired.
I sprinkled on the toasted coconut and placed in the fridge to cool for about four hours.







Oh, my goodness! Summer party in the mouth!




I hope you all enjoy this delightful coconut-pineapple icebox pie, and many thanks to Shivani for featuring me here this week!
XOXO, Amy

5 comments :

  1. Yes, yummy, indeed! Thanks again for having me over, Shivani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pie looks so yummy, and I'm especially liking the toasted coconut! :) I hope you can stop on by and share this or any other recipe with us on Five Friday Finds!

    ReplyDelete